Updated May 24, 2018
AAAWE is a non-profit international professional association and was established in March 2012. AAAWE aims to increase the number of African women economists at all levels in academia, business and government by: promoting equal opportunity, creating opportunities to enhance the capacity and skills of African women economists, supporting entry into the profession, and promoting the career advancement of African women economists.
We understand that you are aware of and care about your own personal privacy interests, and we take that seriously. This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.aaawe.org (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
We recognize that information privacy is an ongoing responsibility, and so we will from time to time update this Privacy Notice as we undertake new personal data practices or adopt new privacy policies.
Information We Collect About You And How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including:
- information by which you may be personally identified, such as name and e-mail address (“personal information”);
- information that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as your location, age range and gender; and/or
- information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details, including but not limited to IP addresses.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies.
Information You Provide To Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website, subscribing to our service, or posting material. We may also ask you for information if you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us; and
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
You also may be permitted to provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “Submissions”). To the extent your Submissions are posted on the Website, they are posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your Submissions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your Submissions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways in order to help us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website, and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure Of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our affiliates.
- To service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of African Finance and Economic Association, our members, or others.
We will not give, sell, or otherwise transfer addresses maintained on our Website to any other party for the purposes of initiating, or enabling others to initiate electronic mail messages without your consent.
Choices About How We Use And Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Information from AAAWE. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by AAAWE to inform you about events or programs which may be of interest to you, you can opt-out by checking or unchecking the relevant options or by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com.
Accessing And Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, or correction of, any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Association for the Advancement of African Women Economists
1117 Stoneridge Drive
Lawrence, KS 66049